I was a small little girl again--- waiting for the seeds to turn into tiny little green. Each new leaf was a wonder. When I started to turn my thumb green , first word of advice was Be patient !
" Patience" was NOT easy !! especially in these fast track days....Man!!!! --- any plant takes at few weeks to grow, then to flower and fruit.You bet ---- the books, science of growing, anything of this sort does not stop you from peeping into the garden patch every morning. I know I sound like ----- a small little girl- ya that is it! My experiments in gardening -made me an observer again - a silent observer.
After shuffling through books; I decided on SPINACH as my first crop...may be second..Fenugreek / Methi just grows like that . Well, spinach was easy to grow , there was no hassle of sunlight, direction etc. and we eat leaves, so waiting time is less--- Patience.. patience.
So, I dropped the seeds , they sprouted with itsy- bitsy leaves, lovely parrot green. In 10-12 days leaves turn oblong and grown bigger.
The site of green patch with these greens, inspired cook in me---no I was not impatient to taste my first crop, just the baby spinach tempted me for a spinach salad. I uprooted the plants , carefully one by one,each one was precious... cleaned, prepared baby spinach salad and presented proudly. Of course expecting complements on dinner table; I discussed spinach spinach and spinach, its fresh green colour, soft texture , organically grown nature --blah,blah blah..... and got one word response GOOD!
Okay!!!! Not bad.
Bad or worse was next. I came to know , one need not uproot spinach, just pluck stems-- one gets new leaves-- this can be done 3-4 times.
That's fine! I have fertilized new patch for another batch of spinach!!!!
" Patience" was NOT easy !! especially in these fast track days....Man!!!! --- any plant takes at few weeks to grow, then to flower and fruit.You bet ---- the books, science of growing, anything of this sort does not stop you from peeping into the garden patch every morning. I know I sound like ----- a small little girl- ya that is it! My experiments in gardening -made me an observer again - a silent observer.
After shuffling through books; I decided on SPINACH as my first crop...may be second..Fenugreek / Methi just grows like that . Well, spinach was easy to grow , there was no hassle of sunlight, direction etc. and we eat leaves, so waiting time is less--- Patience.. patience.
So, I dropped the seeds , they sprouted with itsy- bitsy leaves, lovely parrot green. In 10-12 days leaves turn oblong and grown bigger.
The site of green patch with these greens, inspired cook in me---no I was not impatient to taste my first crop, just the baby spinach tempted me for a spinach salad. I uprooted the plants , carefully one by one,each one was precious... cleaned, prepared baby spinach salad and presented proudly. Of course expecting complements on dinner table; I discussed spinach spinach and spinach, its fresh green colour, soft texture , organically grown nature --blah,blah blah..... and got one word response GOOD!
Okay!!!! Not bad.
Bad or worse was next. I came to know , one need not uproot spinach, just pluck stems-- one gets new leaves-- this can be done 3-4 times.
That's fine! I have fertilized new patch for another batch of spinach!!!!
Spinach reminds me of Popeye the sailor. I ma not a big fan of botany, but the language brought a smile. Keep posting
ReplyDeleteManisha you got a style of writing lady! and I'm going to be following you. All the best! for more such posts we have a common interest here.
ReplyDelete